Hey you. Yes, you! The beautiful human reading this blog post, I want you to know that you are good enough. Sometimes those four words are just what we need to hear/read. Have you ever wondered how we get to the point where we feel inadequate? COMPARISON.
Comparison is the culprit of all of those icky feelings. Think about it, we compare ourselves to others all the time! Here are a few examples;
- Bodies- Dying for a body like Queen Bey? You workout really hard and when you don’t look like her you’re upset
- Relationships- Another one of your friends has just gotten engaged and you’re still single as a Pringle
- Jobs- Your friend has your dream job and it wasn’t even her major
- Finances- You have student loans for the rest of your life but someone else has NONE (is that even possible?)
- School- You have to study for hours to understand Bio-Chem but someone else can skim through and understand everything.
Does any of this sound familiar? It should because we do it all the time! People seem to believe that this issue is reserved for adolescents but it’s actually affects everyone. We’re human obviously, and it happens, but what do we accomplish when we compare ourselves to one another? You just end up super annoyed and down in the dumps for nothing. It took me a while to be content with myself and where I am in life. I am who I am for a reason. I’m where I am for a reason, you know? Those characteristics about you are what make you special. If you got everything you wanted from the people you compared yourself to, there would be nothing special about you. You’d literally be a carbon copy of that person. No thanks, I’ll pass on that. The moment you stop comparing yourself you won’t feel the need for others to accept you. And that my friends, is a liberating feeling.
A few months ago I heard Derek Coleman from the Seattle Seahawks speak he said “Imma do me, and you can do you!” and that statement could not be anymore perfect for this topic. Stop the comparisons and “DO YOU” and let everyone else “DO THEM” because at the end of the day comparisons won’t do anything for you. Be content with yourself (as in mentally and emotionally satisfied with where things are), accept yourself and stop the comparisons because you are GOOD ENOUGH.
Stay fab bbys